|You are not currently logged in. Are you accessing the unsecure (http) portal? Click here to switch to the secure portal.|
Joachim Meyers Fäktbok (MS A.4º.2)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Joachim Meyers Fäktbok|
|MS A.4º.2, Lunds Universitets Bibliotek|
|Language(s)||Early New High German|
|Scribe(s)||Joachim Meyer (?)|
|Patron||Otto von Sulms, Minzenberg and Sonnenwaldt|
|Material||Paper, in a leather binding|
|Size||89 folia (290 mm × 210 mm)|
|Format||Double-sided; text with scattered illustrations|
|External data||Library catalog entry|
The title of this article contains the characters ä, and º. Where they are unavailable or not desired, the name may be represented as Joachim Meyers Faktbok (MS A.4o.2).
The MS A.4º.2 is a German fencing manual created by Joachim Meyer in 1568 (or possibly 1560). The original currently rests in the holdings of Lunds Universitets Bibliotek in Lund, Sweden. This manuscript was created for his private student Otto Graf von Sulms, Minzenberg and Sonnenwaldt. It contains lessons in the use of the sword, the dussack, and the rapier, and it has much in common with the substantially larger book he would publish in 1570, Gründtliche Beschreibung der Kunst des Fechtens.
The known provenance of the MS A.4º.2 is:
- Written in the 1560s for Graf Otto von Solms; presented in either the early 1560s or when he visited Strasbourg in 1568.
- 1560s-1612 – owned by Otto von Solms (1550-1612).
- 1612-1642 – owned by Friedrich Albert von Solms (taken as spoils of war by Johannes Levi von Sommerlad, 1642).
- 1643-1728 – owned by the Sparre family (gifted by Anna Maria Falkenberg, Axel Sparre's widow, 1728).
- 1728-1780 – owned by Melker von Falkenberg (donated, 1780).
- 1780-present – held by the Lunds Universitets Bibliotek.
|1r - 4r||Dedication by Joachim Meyer|
|7r - 40v||Long sword by Joachim Meyer|
|44r - 65v||Dussack by Joachim Meyer|
|69r - 89v||Rapier by Joachim Meyer|
- Chidester, Michael; Tobias Stimmer (2020). The Illustrated Meyer: A Visual Reference for the 1570 Treatise of Joachim Meyer. Somerville, MA: HEMA Bookshelf. ISBN 978-1-953683-00-7.
- Meyer, Joachim (2016). The Art of Sword Combat: A 1568 German Treatise on Swordsmanship. Trans. Jeffrey L. Forgeng. London: Frontline Books. ISBN 9781473876750.
Copyright and License Summary
For further information, including transcription and translation notes, see the discussion page.
|Images||Lunds Universitets Bibliotek||Lunds Universitets Bibliotek|
|Transcription||Index:Joachim Meyers Fäktbok (MS A.4º.2)|